My six year-old son loves cooking with me, so much that he has an Easy Bake oven and his own cooking set given to him for Christmas by his aunt and uncle. When I told him I was going to make some tomato soup from scratch for lunch on this #SuperBowlSunday, he couldn’t wait to help.
An easy recipe like soup is perfect for kids who want to help cook. I diced all the veggies and he helped pour everything into the pot and stir it. He loved using his measuring cups and spoons, and he was great at stirring it to keep it from burning or sticking to the pot. I got to try out my new immersion blender to blend it up until it was smooth and creamy, and he picked the accompaniments: saltine crackers and some Annie’s White Cheddar Bunnies.
Quick and Creamy Tomato Soup from Scratch
2 tbsp. canola oil
1/2 a medium onion, diced
1 medium garlic clove, diced
2 tbsp. flour
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute to let the garlic soften, then sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Remove from heat. Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or use a food processor or blender. Return to the pot.
- Add the Greek yogurt and whisk.
- Serve with cheese and your choice of crackers. Enjoy!